Kevin Patterson talks about his new book Love’s Not Color Blind: Race and Representation in Polyamorous and Other Alternative Communities. We delve into how to figure out what you don’t know, being more inclusive in your community, balancing masculinity and non-monogamy, how the political climate has changed social interaction, light-skinned privilege, forced ambassadorship, those damn pink pussy hats & more. Ken & Sunny answer a listener question about g-spot play. Kevin’s bonus story (with a surprise, twist ending!) is at https://www.patreon.com/posts/17188911
Kevin Patterson is an active member of the Philadelphia polyamory community. He’s been practicing ethical nonmonogamy since August of 2002 after opening up a relationship that eventually became his marriage.
In April of 2015, Kevin was inspired to start Poly Role Models, an interview series for people describing their experiences with polyamory. Poly Role Models is part of a drive and a desire to change the way our lives and communities are viewed. It is currently the most diverse and inclusive platform for polyamory available.
To continue the discussion of polyamorous representation, Kevin has extended the blog’s work into nationwide speaking engagements about how race and polyamory intersect. This has led to the writing of the book, Love’s Not Color Blind: Race and Representation in Polyamorous and Other Alternative Communities.
Episode 30 Topics
Going platinum in Skyrim, unicorn hunters, one penis policy, the legion of angry triad girlfriends, sociology, The Ethical Slut, gamer compersion, racial inclusivity, cautionary poly, angry black stereotype, light skin privilege, polycules, Black Panther, forced ambassadorship, pink pussy hats, not knowing what you don’t know, The Kevin Bacon Game, parallel of racism and misogyny, black comic book characters, Cunning Minx, Ready Player One, men in sex ed, power structure in hetero relationships, Dave Chappelle & Chris Rock on SNL, how to take criticism, Dirty Lola, consent in sex-positive communities, masculinity in polyamory, you let her do what!?, 1980s bad movies, how to make events more inclusive, punching dragons in the face, white feminism, but my one black friend said . . .
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes and Stitcher. And if you really dig us, consider contributing to our Patreon page. All Patreon subscribers get our episodes early for as little as $1 per month. Contributors also get brand new, monthly content and episodes made exclusively for Patreon supporters. Thanks!
Episode 30 Links
- Poly Role Models Facebook https://www.facebook.com/polyrolemodelscurator
- Poly Role Models Instagram https://www.instagram.com/polyrolemodels/
- Poly Role Models Twitter https://twitter.com/PolyRoleModels
- Poly Role Models Tumblr http://polyrolemodels.tumblr.com/
- Love’s Not Color Blind Book Amazonhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/1944934464/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_t2_DiNUzbMDAA9EW
- Love’s Not Color Blind Book Barnes & Nobleshttps://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/loves-not-colorblind-kevin-patterson/1127073225?ean=9781944934460
- Kevin’s bonus story https://www.patreon.com/posts/17188911
Episode 30 Sponsor, Affiliate & Giveaway Info
- Ambi by Lovense Smartphone controlled bullet Giveaway at sunnymegatron.com: Provided by Castle Megastore. Entrants must be over 18, US resident, no purchase necessary. Visit the giveaway page for details and to enter:https://sunnymegatron.com/ambiGiveaway entry ends 2/28/2018
- 20% off your order at http://castlemegastore.com when you use code SUNNY at checkout (limited restrictions apply)
- 20% off at Lelo.com with code SUNNY
- Get a 30 day free trial of Audible + a free audiobook download (The Butterfly Effect Podcast & The Breasts Abound Podcast are MUST LISTEN!): http://www.audibletrial.com/aspodcast