Episode 122 of American Sex Podcast is a wonderful resource for those curious about non-monogamy or seasoned pros with bumps in the road. Dr. Liz Powell and Kevin Patterson discuss how the toxic monogamous ideals we bring into polyamorous relationships trip us up, give advice for poly breakups, and answer to the question “can you cheat if you’re polyamorous?” You’ll also get tips for managing resentment and frustration, addressing the perceived power imbalance between long-time partners and new metamours, how not to come off as a dreaded unicorn hunter, navigating poly Facebook, finding solid resources for newcomers, figuring out what non-monogamous label best fits you, and more. Grab your partners, metamours, and like-minded friends–this episode will spark some great conversation.
Dr. Liz Powell Bio
Dr. Liz believes that great sex can change the world. They are on a mission to help you have more meaningful, pleasurable relationships in life and work, as well as the bedroom. They’re a coach and licensed psychologist (CA 27871, OR 3068) helping couples and singles develop self-confidence and authenticity in their relationships, whether conventional or non-traditional. Dr. Liz has made multiple media appearances, including in Cosmopolitan, Playboy, and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation radio show Ideas. As a sex educator, Dr. Liz has spoken on many stages internationally including the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists Annual Conference, the Guelph Sexuality Conference, and the Woodhull Sexual Freedom Summit. Their new book, Building Open Relationships, is the newest way they is spreading the Great Sex word. Dr Liz believes that being confident in who you are is the gateway to great relationships and great sex – and great sex, according to Dr. Liz, can change the world.
Kevin Patterson Bio
Kevin Patterson is an active member of the Philadelphia polyamory community. He’s been practicing ethical nonmonogamy since August of 2002 after opening up a relationship that eventually became his marriage.
In April of 2015, Kevin was inspired to start Poly Role Models, an interview series for people describing their experiences with polyamory. Poly Role Models is part of a drive and a desire to change the way our lives and communities are viewed. It is currently the most diverse and inclusive platform for polyamory available.
To continue the discussion of polyamorous representation, Kevin has extended the blog’s work into nationwide speaking engagements about how race and polyamory intersect. This has led to the writing of the book, Love’s Not Color Blind: Race and Representation in Polyamorous and Other Alternative Communities. Along with co-writer Alana Phelan, Kevin launched a sci-fi novel series, For Hire. The series centers characters of color and as well as other marginalized identities.
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed. You also get episodes made exclusively for Patreon members, podcast stickers, surprises in the mail, a personal video greeting & more for as little as $3 a month. Thanks!
Episode 122 Links
- Unfuck Your Polyamory course https://sexpositivepsych.teachable.com/p/unfckpolyamory
- Dr. Liz Powell Facebook http://facebook.com/sexpositivepsych
- Dr. Liz Powell Twitter http://twitter.com/sexpospsych
- Dr. Liz Powell Youtube http://youtube.com/c/sexpositivepsych
- Dr. Liz Powell Instagram http://instagram.com/drlizpowell
- Dr. Liz Powell Website https://sexpositivepsych.com/
- Building Open Relationships http://buildingopenrelationsips
- Kevin Patterson Twitter http://twitter.com/PolyRoleModels
- Kevin Patterson Instagram http://instagram.com/PolyRoleModels
- Poly Role Models https://polyrolemodels.tumblr.com/
- Love’s Not Color Blind Book Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/1944934464/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_t2_DiNUzbMDAA9EW
- American Sex Podcast subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/americansexpodcast
- Wednesday night free American Sex podcast live stream, 3/11 8pm PST http://bit.ly/sunnygetvokl
Episode 122 Sponsor, Affiliate & Giveaway Info
- Get 20% off + free shipping at Manscaped.com with code SUNNY http://manscaped.com
- Join mygirlfund free, and for a limited time you can become a lifetime premium member for less than $5 when you visit mygirlfund.com/sunny (That means you can get discounted credits and bonus interaction features for life!)
- YNOT Mail – The only sexual health & adult industry friendly email service http://bit.ly/sunnyynot
- 10% off American Sex Podcast & Sunny Megatron merch with code SUNNY (t-shirts, mugs, phone cases & more) http://bit.ly/sunnyshirts
- Sunny & Ken’s classes on Kink Academy http://bit.ly/kinkacademyelectric & http://bit.ly/kinkacademyhumiliation
- 15% off your order at Lovehoney when you use this link http://bit.ly/lovehoney15 (This link can be a little wonky and does not keep tracking cookies. If the discount does not show up in your cart (or disappears after you shop around on the site), access the site with that link again. Your items will still be in your cart & the discount will appear)
- 15% off everything at Lelo.com with code SUNNY
- 10% off everything (with minor restrictions) online from woman-owned, feminist, trans & queer-friendly Early To Bed http://bit.ly/sunnyetb
- 10% off everything from Fun Factory using this link http://bit.ly/sunnyfunfactory and the code SUNNY at checkout
- At least 25% off BDSM gear & sex toys with Stockroom’s daily deal (there’s a new product each day!) https://www.stockroom.com/dailydeal/?acc=7c590f01490190db0ed02a5070e20f01
- 15% off most items from Stockroom http://bit.ly/sunnystockroom with code SUNNY