On Episode 116 of American Sex Podcast, Kevin Patterson & Alana Phelan, authors of the For Hire series, talk about the queer superhero universe they created. We also discuss why centering marginalized voices is important in fiction, how Harry Potter fans are handling the JK Rowling TERF situation, why books like Fifty Shades of Grey and Anne Rice’s Beauty Series positively changed our culture while still perpetuating harmful stereotypes, and how positive representation in media can change the world. The pair also tell us about being awarded and Effing Foundation Grant and their upcoming non-fiction book about cautionary polyamory.
Kevin Patterson Bio
- Kevin Patterson is an active member of the Philadelphia polyamory community. He’s been practicing ethical nonmonogamy since August of 2002 after opening up a relationship that eventually became his marriage.
In April of 2015, Kevin was inspired to start Poly Role Models, an interview series for people describing their experiences with polyamory. Poly Role Models is part of a drive and a desire to change the way our lives and communities are viewed. It is currently the most diverse and inclusive platform for polyamory available.
To continue the discussion of polyamorous representation, Kevin has extended the blog’s work into nationwide speaking engagements about how race and polyamory intersect. This has led to the writing of the book, Love’s Not Color Blind: Race and Representation in Polyamorous and Other Alternative Communities. Along with co-writer Alana Phelan, Kevin launched a sci-fi novel series, For Hire. The series centers characters of color and as well as other marginalized identities.
Alana Phelan Bio
Alana Phelan is a writer, editor, and librarian. After dipping in and out of non-monogamy over the last twenty-plus years, she decided to commit to polyamory about six years ago. She then helped organize meetups in Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Connecticut, and started the Polyamory Hub of Philadelphia to help local groups find resources more easily. She now houses and helps run a small lending library for the Philadelphia polyamory community and uses her experiences, good and bad, to help others as The Polyamorous Librarian.
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed. You also get episodes made exclusively for Patreon members, podcast stickers, surprises in the mail, a personal video greeting & more for as little as $3 a month. Thanks!
Episode 116 Links
- Kevin Patterson Twitter http://twitter.com/PolyRoleModels
- Kevin Patterson Instagram http://instagram.com/PolyRoleModels
- Poly Role Models Facebook http://facebook.com/PolyRoleModels
- For Hire Facebook http://facebook.com/ForHireMag
- For Hire Book 1 http://tinyurl.com/ForHireMag1
- For Hire Book 2 http://tinyurl.com/ForHireMag2
- Alana Phelan Twitter http://twitter.com/hellolibrarian
- Alana Phelan Instagram http://instagram.com/polyamorouslibrarian
- Alana Phelan Facebook http://facebook.com/polyamorouslibrarian
- Alana Phelan Website https://polyamorouslibrarian.wordpress.com/
- American Sex Podcast subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/americansexpodcast
Episode 116 Sponsor, Affiliate & Giveaway Info
- Get 10% off Giddy ED Device & Educational Guide at https://buygiddy.com/savewithsunny with code SUNNY
- Get 20% off + free shipping at Manscaped.com with code SUNNY http://manscaped.com
- 40% off a Calm Premium subscription at http://calm.com/sunny
- YNOT Mail – The only sexual health & adult industry friendly email service http://bit.ly/sunnyynot
- 10% off American Sex Podcast & Sunny Megatron merch with code SUNNY (t-shirts, mugs, phone cases & more) http://bit.ly/sunnyshirts
- Sunny & Ken’s classes on Kink Academy http://bit.ly/kinkacademyelectric & http://bit.ly/kinkacademyhumiliation
- 15% off your order at Lovehoney when you use this link http://bit.ly/lovehoney15 (This link can be a little wonky and does not keep tracking cookies. If the discount does not show up in your cart (or disappears after you shop around on the site), access the site with that link again. Your items will still be in your cart & the discount will appear)
- 15% off everything at Lelo.com with code SUNNY
- 10% off everything (with minor restrictions) online from woman-owned, feminist, trans & queer-friendly Early To Bed http://bit.ly/sunnyetb
- 10% off everything from Fun Factory using this link http://bit.ly/sunnyfunfactory and the code SUNNY at checkout
- At least 25% off BDSM gear & sex toys with Stockroom’s daily deal (there’s a new product each day!) https://www.stockroom.com/dailydeal/?acc=7c590f01490190db0ed02a5070e20f01
- 15% off most items from Stockroom http://bit.ly/sunnystockroom