On ep 153 of American Sex Podcast, Kevin Patterson & Dr. Liz Powell talk about the complexities of both finding a therapist knowledgeable about non-normative lifestyles/identities and becoming a therapist who is. Learn why non-monogamous people shy away from therapy, questions to ask practitioners when searching, and how to handle a judgmental or uneducated health professional or coach. Find out if vanilla therapists can ever be a good fit for clients in alt lifestyles, why many therapists don’t divulge their personal experience with non-monogamy, if there’s professional credentialing to indicate a provider can work effectively with clients in these communities, and why censorship is making it more difficult for people to find polyamory and kink-friendly therapists.
Dr. Liz Bio
Dr. Liz believes that great sex can change the world®. They are on a mission to help you have more meaningful, pleasurable relationships in life and work, as well as the bedroom. They’re a coach and licensed psychologist (CA 27871, OR 3068) helping couples and singles develop self-confidence and authenticity in their relationships, whether conventional or non-traditional. Dr. Liz has made multiple media appearances, including in Cosmopolitan, Playboy, and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation radio show Ideas. As a sex educator, Dr. Liz has spoken on many stages internationally including the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists Annual Conference, the Guelph Sexuality Conference, and the Woodhull Sexual Freedom Summit. Their book, Building Open Relationships, is the newest way they are spreading the Great Sex word. Dr Liz believes that being confident in who you are is the gateway to great relationships and great sex – and great sex, according to Dr. Liz, can change the world.
Kevin Patterson Bio
Kevin Patterson is an active member of the Philadelphia polyamory community. He’s been practicing ethical nonmonogamy since August of 2002 after opening up a relationship that eventually became his marriage.
In April of 2015, Kevin was inspired to start Poly Role Models, an interview series for people describing their experiences with polyamory. Poly Role Models was part of a drive and a desire to change the way our lives and communities are viewed. To continue that discussion of polyamorous representation, Kevin has extended the blog’s work into the writing of the book, Love’s Not Color Blind: Race and Representation in Polyamorous and Other Alternative Communities. Along with co-writer Alana Phelan, Kevin launched a sci-fi novel series, For Hire, that centers characters of color as well as other marginalized identities.
Beginning in 2020, Kevin has worked with Dr. Liz Powell to create the Unfuck Your Polyamory educational series. Including lessons for both individual users as well as service providers, Unfuck is designed to help people navigate the world of consensual non-monogamy while avoiding a lot of the common mistakes.
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed. You also get episodes made exclusively for Patreon members, podcast stickers, surprises in the mail, a personal video greeting & more for as little as $3 a month. Thanks!
Episode 153 Links
- Unfuck Your Polyamory Courses for both clinicians and individuals https://unfuckyourpolyamory.com/?wpam_id=5 (professional weekend intensive coming up 2/20/21)
- Dr. Liz Powell Twitter http://twitter.com/drlizpowell
- Dr. Liz Powell Instagram http://instagram.com/drlizpowell
- Dr. Liz Powell Website https://drlizpowell.com/
- Building Open Relationships http://buildingopenrelationsips
- Kevin Patterson Twitter http://twitter.com/PolyRoleModels
- Kevin Patterson Instagram http://instagram.com/PolyRoleModels
- Poly Role Models https://polyrolemodels.tumblr.com/
- Love’s Not Color Blind Book Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/1944934464/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_t2_DiNUzbMDAA9EW
- Kink & Poly Aware Professional List from NCFS https://www.kapprofessionals.org/
- Polyamory Friendly Professionals List https://www.polyfriendly.org/
- Healthy Erotic Humiliation Class 2/24/21 https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sanctuarys-the-course-hot-and-healthy-humiliation-by-sunny-megatron-tickets-138121642551
- American Sex Podcast Discord Community http://bit.ly/discordasp
- American Sex Podcast subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/americansexpodcast
- American Sex Podcast Patreon http://patreon.com/americansex
Episode 153 Sponsor, Affiliate & Giveaway Info
- $25 off and free shipping when you spend $100 or more at http://brooklinen.com with promo code SUNNY
- Get 20% off + free shipping at Manscaped.com with code SUNNY http://manscaped.com
- 10% off American Sex Podcast & Sunny Megatron merch with code SUNNY (t-shirts, mugs, phone cases & more) http://bit.ly/sunnyshirts
- Sunny & Ken’s classes on Kink Academy http://bit.ly/kinkacademyelectric & http://bit.ly/kinkacademyhumiliation
- Prostate Play for Beginners (recorded class) from Sugar Baltimore https://www.sugartheshop.com/prostate-milking-for-beginners.html
- 15% off your order at Lovehoney when you use this link http://bit.ly/lovehoney15 (This link can be a little wonky and does not keep tracking cookies. If the discount does not show up in your cart (or disappears after you shop around on the site), access the site with that link again. Your items will still be in your cart & the discount will appear)
- 15% off everything at Lelo.com with code SUNNY
- 10% off everything (with minor restrictions) online from woman-owned, feminist, trans & queer-friendly Early To Bed http://bit.ly/sunnyetb with code SUNNY
- 10% off everything from Fun Factory using this link http://bit.ly/sunnyfunfactory and the code SUNNY at checkout
- At least 25% off BDSM gear & sex toys with Stockroom’s daily deal (there’s a new product each day!) https://www.stockroom.com/dailydeal/?acc=7c590f01490190db0ed02a5070e20f01
- 15% off most items from Stockroom http://bit.ly/sunnystockroom with code SUNNY
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!