Kara Cooney is an Egyptologist whose work can be seen on the Discovery Channel and in museums around the world. What the heck does that have to do with the sexual climate here in the US? A LOT. History repeats itself, right? Political structure and patriarchal sexism in ancient Egypt draw surprising parallels to what’s going on here in America–even down to the authoritarianism and pu$$y grabbing in the white house. We top off the episode with sexy hieroglyphics, hand jobs & semen salads (how’s that for a happy ending?!). Ken & Sunny give the secret word for their April PeepShowToys.com giveaway (there’s TWO giveaways this month!) & dive way too deep into Willy Wonka.
Dr. Kathlyn (Kara) Cooney is a professor of Egyptian Art and Architecture at UCLA. Specializing in craft production, coffin studies, and economies in the ancient world, Cooney received her PhD in Egyptology from Johns Hopkins University. In 2005, she was co-curator of Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Cooney produced a comparative archaeology television series, entitled Out of Egypt, which aired in 2009 on the Discovery Channel and is available online via Netflix and Amazon.
The Woman Who Would Be King: Hatshepsut’s Rise to Power in Ancient Egypt is Cooney’s first trade book, and it benefits from her immense knowledge of Egypt’s ancient history to craft an illuminating biography of its least well-known female king. As an archaeologist who spent years at various excavations in Egypt, Cooney draws from the latest field research to fill in the gaps in the physical record of Hatshepsut.
Cooney’s current research in coffin reuse, primarily focusing on the 20th Dynasty, is ongoing. Her research investigates the socioeconomic and political turmoil that have plagued the period, ultimately affecting funerary and burial practices in ancient Egypt. This project has taken her around the world over the span of five to six years to study and document more than 300 coffins in collections, including those in Cairo, London, Paris, Berlin, and Vatican City.
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed for as little as $1 per month. Contributors also get brand new, monthly content and episodes made exclusively for Patreon members. Thanks!
Episode 35 Links
- Kara Cooney Twitter https://twitter.com/KaraCooney
- Kara Cooney Facebook https://www.facebook.com/karacooneyegyptologist/
- Kara Cooney Instagram https://www.instagram.com/karacooney
- Kara Cooney Website http://karacooney.squarespace.com/
- Kara Cooney’s “When Women Ruled The Word” book https://www.amazon.com/When-Women-Ruled-World-Queens/dp/1426219776
- Rochester Erotic Arts Festival http://www.rochestereroticartfest.org/
- Club Ascension Detroit Memorial Day Chicken BBQ http://club-ascension.com/event/chicken-bbq-memorial-weekend/
- COPE Conference Ohio July 2018 http://www.adventuresinsexuality.org/COPE/tickets.html
- Tuesday 4/3 Sunny’s Womanizer/Satisfyer/Sona live stream & giveaway kick-off sponsored by Peepshow Toys on Sunny’s facebook page:http://facebook.com/sunnymegatron
- Call in your BDSM & sex advice questions to our voicemail line 773-MUFF-TOY (we may play your message on air) or by email to [email protected]
Episode 35 Sponsor, Affiliate & Giveaway Info
- Jimmyjane Halo Love Pod ($150 value) provided by Castle Megastore. Entrants must be over 18, US resident, no purchase necessary. Visit the giveaway page for details and to enter: https://sunnymegatron.com/halo Giveaway entry ends 4/30/2018
- 20% off your order at http://castlemegastore.com when you use code SUNNY at checkout (limited restrictions apply)
- 10% off peepshowtoys.com with code SUNNY. Peepshow Toys is small, independently owned online pleasure products retailer committed to selling only quality products made of body-safe, non-toxic materials, at fair prices. Peepshow Toys carries a number of “indie” sex toy brands like The Butters, Split Peaches and Funkit Toys – companies that are similarly committed to offering body-safe, quality sex toys.
© 2017-2019 American Sex