American Sex Podcast is back after holiday hiatus! Ken & Sunny speak with sex therapist Dr. Hernando Chaves about what affects the health of our sex lives. He discusses the heavy impact stress has in the bedroom and tells us how we can use mindfulness techniques to combat it, how to find common ground with a partner when your sexual interests don’t seem compatible, the current political climate & its effects on gender power dynamics in relationships, and support for men in the age of #MeToo. We also talk sex-positive parenting and raising children that are questioning their gender and sexual orientation. As a bonus, Dr. Chavez gives us prostate play tips and tells us about the best new toy for p-spot play.
Dr. Hernando Chaves holds a B.A. in psychology from University of California Santa Barbara, a M.A. in marital and family therapy from University of San Diego, and a D.H.S. doctorate in human sexuality from the Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality. He is a licensed marriage and family therapist specializing with clients working with intimacy/relational difficulties, sexual concerns/dysfunctions, and with sexual minorities (LGBTQ, BDSM, fetish, sex work, nonmonogamy), Dr. Chaves is a psychology and sexuality professor at Orange Coast College and Pepperdine University, presented at various academic institutions including Alliant, Cal Lutheran, CSULB, NYU, Pepperdine, USC, and USD and conferences/shows such as AVN/AEE, AASECT, Catalystcon, SSSS, and SHE and a Western Region past president for the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality. He has written and/or consulted for 14 instructional sex education projects, co-host for Penthouse’s Sex Academy instructional series, consultant for BaDoinkVR virtual reality sex therapy instructional video, Dr. Chaves has written for Sexpert.com, AskMen.com, a contributing author to the International Encyclopedia of Human Sexuality, and been featured in publications such as Rolling Stone, The Guardian, Marie Claire, Bustle, Vice, Maxim, The Daily Star, Esquire, and Alternet.
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed. You also get episodes made exclusively for Patreon members, podcast stickers, surprises in the mail, a personal video greeting & more for as little as $3 a month. Thanks!
Episode 73 Links
- Dr. Hernando Chaves Twitter https://twitter.com/Hernando_Chaves
- Dr. Hernando Chaves https://www.instagram.com/Hernando_Chaves
- Dr. Hernando Chaves website http://www.drhernandochaves.com/
- Calm app https://www.calm.com/
- Headspace app https://www.headspace.com/
- Sunny Megatron Instagram (please help us get to 10k to unlock more business features!)http://instagram.com/sunnymegatron
- American Sex Podcast new subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/americansexpodcast
Episode 73 Sponsor, Affiliate & Giveaway Info
- Get 10% off American Sex Podcast & Sunny Megatron merch with code SUNNY (t-shirts, mugs, phone cases & more) http://bit.ly/sunnyshirts
- Sunny & Ken’s classes on Kink Academy http://bit.ly/kinkacademyelectric
- 15% off your order at Lovehoney when you use this link http://bit.ly/lovehoney15
- 15% off everything at Lelo.com with code SUNNY
- 10% off everything (with minor restrictions) online from woman-owned, feminist, trans & queer-friendly Early To Bed with code SUNNY http://bit.ly/sunnyetb