This episode might just change your life– especially if you’ve ever wondered if your sexual fantasies are too “weird.” Dr. Justin Lehmiller surveyed over 4,000 Americans about their fantasies and what he discovered is absolutely fascinating and reassuring. It turns out all of our sexual fantasies fall into seven major categories. Dr. Lehmiller tells us which are the most popular and why, if people of different genders fantasize differently, why suppressing our sexual fantasies can be damaging, why group sex is so appealing, why Republicans tend to have more taboo sexual fantasies, and how to use the information he uncovered to make your own sex life better. He even tells us a few things from his study that didn’t make it into his latest book, Tell Me What You Want: The Science of Sexual Desire and How It Can Help You Improve Your Sex Life.
Dr. Justin J. Lehmiller received his Ph.D. in Social Psychology from Purdue University. He is a Research Fellow at The Kinsey Institute and author of the book Tell Me What You Want: The Science of Sexual Desire and How It Can Help You Improve Your Sex Life. Dr. Lehmiller is an award-winning educator, having been honored three times with the Certificate of Teaching Excellence from Harvard University, where he taught for several years. He is also a prolific researcher and scholar who has published more than 40 pieces of academic writing to date, including a textbook entitled The Psychology of Human Sexuality (now in its second edition) that is used in college classrooms around the world. Dr. Lehmiller’s research focuses on topics including casual sex, sexual fantasy, sexual health, and friends with benefits. His studies have appeared in all of the leading journals on human sexuality, including the Journal of Sex Research, Archives of Sexual Behavior, and The Journal of Sexual Medicine.
Dr. Lehmiller has run the popular blog Sex and Psychology since 2011, and it now receives several million page views per year. He has been interviewed by numerous media outlets, including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, CNN.com, The Atlantic, The Globe and Mail, and The Sunday Times. He has been named one of 5 “Sexperts” You Need to Follow on Twitter by Men’s Health and one of the “modern-day masters of sex” by Nerve. Dr. Lehmiller has appeared on several episodes of the television program Taboo on the National Geographic Channel and has been a guest on numerous podcasts and radio shows, including the Savage Lovecast, the BBC’s Up All Night, and several NPR programs (1A, Radio Times, and Airtalk). He is a popular freelance writer, penning columns and op-eds for major publications, including Playboy, USA Today, VICE, Psychology Today, Politico, and New York Magazine. In addition, the articles he writes on Sex and Psychology have been syndicated on major websites, including Business Insider, Huffington Post, Men’s Health, and Thought Catalog.
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed. You also get episodes made exclusively for Patreon members, podcast stickers, surprises in the mail, a personal video greeting & more for as little as $3 a month. Thanks!
Episode 74 Links
- Dr. Justin Lehmiller Sex and Psychology Blog https://www.lehmiller.com/
- Tell Me What You Want: The Science of Sexual Desire and How It Can Help You Improve Your Sex Lifehttps://amzn.to/2STirXD
- Dr. Justin Lehmiller Twitter https://twitter.com/JustinLehmiller
- Dr. Justin Lehmiller Facebook https://www.facebook.com/psychologyofsex
- Dr. Justin Lehmiller Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/psychologyofsex
- Dr. Justin Lehmiller Instagram https://www.instagram.com/justinjlehmiller/
- Dr. Justin Lehmiller YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm8JQt7it3re8SypKf-mT2Q
- Sunny Megatron Instagram (please help us get to 10k to unlock more business features!)http://instagram.com/sunnymegatron
- American Sex Podcast new subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/americansexpodcast
Episode 74 Sponsor, Affiliate & Giveaway Info
- Get 10% off American Sex Podcast & Sunny Megatron merch with code SUNNY (t-shirts, mugs, phone cases & more) http://bit.ly/sunnyshirts
- Sunny & Ken’s classes on Kink Academy http://bit.ly/kinkacademyelectric
- 15% off your order at Lovehoney when you use this link http://bit.ly/lovehoney15
- 15% off everything at Lelo.com with code SUNNY
- 10% off everything (with minor restrictions) online from woman-owned, feminist, trans & queer-friendly Early To Bed with code SUNNY http://bit.ly/sunnyetb