Jimanekia Eborn takes a heavy subject and makes it feel like a breath of fresh air. Overcoming sexual trauma can be incredibly difficult. Jimanekia tells us about her journey of healing from her own trauma and the work she now does with other survivors*. She also discusses the ways in which people of color can experience trauma differently and why. This episode is jam-packed with ideas for working through trauma, helping friends and partners heal, and includes (low cost!) therapy resources. Sunny takes a vow for some much-needed self-care plus Ken & Sunny confess their love for watching Dr. Miami perform surgery on Snapchat.
*Episode contains detailed accounts of sexual assault and partner abuse. It also mentions childhood sexual assault.
Jimanekia has worked in mental health for the last 10 years, which is where she saw the need for sexual education and sexual trauma support. This led to her passion for assisting and supporting those that are sexual assault survivors and those without access to comprehensive sex education. Jimanekia’s compassion and passion for these populations has pushed her to continue building safe spaces for clientele, sharing education, and supporting their mental spaces. She’s a comprehensive sex educator grades K – 12, Director of Education for survivor and ally support organization, “More Than No,” and she consults on TV and Film to bring a healthy perspective on sex and surviving trauma into everyone’s home.
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed for as little as $1 per month. Contributors also get brand new, monthly content and episodes made exclusively for Patreon members. Thanks!
Episode 49 Links
- Jimanekia Eborn Twitter twitter.com/jimanekia
- Jimanekia Eborn Instagram instagram.com/jimanekia
- Jimanekia Eborn Website sewjim.com
- Better Help http://tryonlinetherapy.com/jimanekia (You fill out a survey and get matched with a therapist who understands your experience within 24 hours. Costs as low as $30 a month. You can talk via skype, texting, phone, etc.)
- Juicebox https://www.juiceboxit.com/ Use promo code JIMANEKIA to get 60% off your first week
- Sunny Megatron Instagram/IGTV (please help us get to 10k to unlock more business features!)
- $100 off Midori’s Forte Femme July (New York) or August (San Fransisco) – use code sunny http://www.fortefemme.com/
- COPE Conference Ohio July 2018 (we’re teaching!) adventuresinsexuality.org/COPE/tickets.html
Episode 49 Sponsor & Giveaway Info
- 10% off your entire peepshowtoys.com order with code SUNNY.
- Pretty Love Ford clitoral silicone stimulator giveaway ($69 value) provided by Castle Megastore. Entrants must be over 18, US resident, no purchase necessary. Visit the giveaway page for details and to enter:https://sunnymegatron.com/prettyloveford
- 20% off your order at http://castlemegastore.com when you use code SUNNY at checkout (limited restrictions apply)
$100 off Midori’s July or August 2018 Forte Femme with code “sunny”
© 2017-2018 American Sex