Sexologist Cyndi Darnell dives in deep discussing #MeToo, the Aziz Ansari story, and how it relates to all of us. We know that #TimesUp and things have to change but how do we go about that? What steps do we take? What’s our personal responsibility? We discuss effective sexual communication, the role sex ed plays in all of this, plus Cyndi gives tips for sex-positive parenting. Before the interview, Sunny & Ken talk about hangovers and drinking Downy, plus Sunny has an embarrassing recording mishap.
Cyndi also tells us a hilarious story about a date gone very wrong. It’s separate from the episode and you can hear it here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/cyndi-darnell-ep-16539959
Cyndi Darnell is Australia’s most in demand sex and relationship therapist, spearheading progressive sex & relationships seminars for adults that deeply change people’s lives and in 2015 she was the only sexologist named on MindBodyGreen’s Top 100 Women to Watch.
Her approach spans the clinical to the esoteric, and is a reviewer and contributor to the academic Journals Sex Education ( UK) Porn Studies ( UK) & Sex & Relationship Therapy ( UK). In 2015 she released The Atlas of Erotic Anatomy and Arousal a pioneering educational video series designed to give upfront adult information about sex, the body and most importantly, pleasure! She’s currently working on her first book exploring the fusion of the mind, body and heart in enhancing and exploring libido and desire.
Her 5 degrees range from a bachelor in adult education to two masters degrees in sexology and psychotherapy. A regular in the Australian media she has appeared on TV, radio and print as well as being principal consultant and advisor on Northern Pictures “Luke Warm Sex” (on Netflix)
She counsels individuals & couples, offers training to professionals on sex and the human condition, and offers insight into the quandaries of the erotic to transform fear into freedom. Currently based in Australia and soon to be in New York City in 2018.
Episode 25 Topics
Forgetting to press record, misplaced anger, University of Tennessee Sex Week, modeling vulnerability, opening angels, #MeToo backlash, early childhood memories, emotional literacy, religious play, sexual communication, bad dates, the flavors of sex, tide pods, conspiracy theories, community sex ed, anal sex, tinder dates, defining sexual assault, comprehensive sex ed, erotic expression, why women don’t speak up, testosterone and sexuality, scratching your ass in public, gender socialization, victim blaming, sex positive parenting, overrepresentation of sex & violence narratives, sex ed in math class, drinking fabric softener, cultural trauma, Margaret Atwood, emotional labor
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes and Stitcher. And if you really dig us, consider contributing to our Patreon page. All Patreon subscribers get our episodes early for as little as $1 per month. Contributors also get brand new, monthly content and episodes made exclusively for Patreon supporters. Thanks!
Episode 25 Links
- Cyndi Darnell website: http://cyndidarnell.com/
- Cyndi Darnell newsletter: http://cyndidarnell.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=7ab248cc10bd53654c0f6b44a&id=2160a23dff
- Cyndi Darnell Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/cyndidarnellpage/
- @cyndi_darnell Twitter: https://twitter.com/cyndi_darnell
- Scarleteen.com http://www.scarleteen.com/
- Bish.com http://www.bishuk.com/
- Cyndi’s facebook post that inspired this episode: https://www.facebook.com/cyndi.pfa/posts/1570444263041938?pnref=story
- Buzzfeed Best 2018 podcast: https://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/podcasts-2018 ← please leave a comment and give us a mention!
Episode 25 Sponsor, Affiliate & Giveaway Info
- Crave Vesper 24k Gold Vibrating Necklace Giveaway at sunnymegatron.com: Provided by Castle Megastore. Entrants must be over 18, US resident, no purchase necessary. Visit the giveaway page for details and to enter: https://sunnymegatron.com/vesper/Giveaway entry ends 1/31/2017
- 20% off your order at http://castlemegastore.com when you use code SUNNY at checkout (limited restrictions apply)
- 20% off at Lelo.com with code SUNNY