Episode 96 of American Sex podcast is all about pubic hair. The societal messages we receive about our genital hair cause us a great deal of turmoil. Should we trim? Shave completely? Or let it grow free? What do our grooming preferences say about us and how do the people we’re intimate with feel about that? On this episode, we examine your personal stories, difficulties, and strategies for caring for your garden down below. We also speak with Lyndsey Craig, an anthropology doctoral candidate studying cross-cultural pubic hair grooming practices. They say that our modern preference for genital baldness is primarily influenced by pornography & the media. Will Lyndsey’s pubic detective work throughout history tell us otherwise? You may be surprised at what you learn!
Lyndsey Craig Bio
Lyndsey Craig is a doctoral candidate in the Anthropology department at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. She is most interested in human mating strategies and romantic relationships from a biocultural perspective. Lyndsey has recently published a paper on pubic hair removal practices in the journal Cross-Cultural Research and is now working on collecting data for her Master’s work on women’s use of intimate apparel and pubic hair removal practices in long-term relationships. She is also mentoring two undergraduate students from UNLV on their research into the perceptions of facial hair in the workplace and what cars say about their drivers. On her off-time, Lyndsey likes to read and play games with her loving partner and two rambunctious ferrets.
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed. You also get episodes made exclusively for Patreon members, podcast stickers, surprises in the mail, a personal video greeting & more for as little as $3 a month. Thanks!
Episode 96 Links
- Lyndsey Craig Twitter https://twitter.com/lyndseykcraig
- Participate in Lyndsey’s next study: Women’s Romantic Strategies in Long-Term Relationships: bit.ly/2Kp8FfQ We are looking for US women aged 25-45 who are in committed, heterosexual relationships to participate in a new research study about women’s choice in romance from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The only survey will take about 20-30 minutes to complete, and you will have an option to enter for a chance to win one of three $50 Amazon gift cards.
- What Do Women Want book http://danielbergner.com/what-do-women-want
- Playboy Magazine Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19916105
- Folklore & hair https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Christian_Bromberger/publication/30441655_On_the_symbolism_of_hair_in_Islamic_societies_An_analysis_of_approaches_Anthropology_of_the_Middle_East_vol_1_n_2_winter_2006_pp_72-88/links/57168ff308ae377f0bd617ee/On-the-symbolism-of-hair-in-Islamic-societies-An-analysis-of-approaches-Anthropology-of-the-Middle-East-vol-1-n-2-winter-2006-pp-72-88.pdf
- Pubic hair removal among Saudi women https://bmcwomenshealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12905-018-0661-6
- eHRAF World Cultures https://ehrafworldcultures.yale.edu/ehrafe/
- Sugaring article https://www.byrdie.com/sugaring-hair-removal-101-1717097
- Pubic hair feedback on Twitter https://twitter.com/SunnyMegatron/status/1155193610255495168
- Pubic hair feedback on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SunnyMegatron/posts/2521643911214768?
- Pubic hair feedback on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/B0bj4m6hzfW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
- Pubic hair feedback on American Sex Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/B0bkQsGBqEa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
- Pubic hair feedback on Instastories highlight https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE4MDA4NjY0MDY0MjI2Mjg3?igshid=1fhl43c9hh18k&story_media_id=2097423461579667355_30660739
- My 2012 blog post about pubic hair http://sunnymegatron.com/pubic-hair-to-shave-or-not-to-shave/
- Sunny Megatron Instagram (please help us get to 10k to unlock more business features! We’re sooooo close!) http://instagram.com/sunnymegatron
- American Sex Podcast subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/americansexpodcast
- p.s. Dear internet/social media police, the hairy background for the cover art is NOT actual pubic hair. It’s actually a man’s chest hair (heaven forbid it’s a woman’s chest hair cuz that would never be allowed :roll eyes:) from this wiki commons photo: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Chest_hair#/media/File:Brusthaare.JPG
Episode 96 Sponsor, Affiliate & Giveaway Info
- Get 20% off + free shipping at Manscaped.com with code SUNNY http://manscaped.com
- Get 10% off American Sex Podcast & Sunny Megatron merch with code SUNNY (t-shirts, mugs, phone cases & more) http://bit.ly/sunnyshirts
- Sunny & Ken’s classes on Kink Academy http://bit.ly/kinkacademyelectric & http://bit.ly/kinkacademyhumiliation
- 15% off your order at Lovehoney when you use this link http://bit.ly/lovehoney15
- 15% off everything at Lelo.com with code SUNNY
- 10% off everything (with minor restrictions) online from woman-owned, feminist, trans & queer-friendly Early To Bed with code SUNNY http://bit.ly/sunnyetb
- At least 25% off BDSM gear & sex toys with Stockroom’s daily deal (there’s a new product each day!) https://www.stockroom.com/dailydeal/?acc=7c590f01490190db0ed02a5070e20f01
© 2017-2019 American Sex