Nicole Prause, Ph.D. gives us an eye-opening view into the world of a sex researcher. We learn about the latest sexuality research like brain hacking to normalize sexual desire, scientific sex product research, and the very specific laboratory definition of an orgasm that surprisingly fails to line up with what many of us experience in the bedroom. We get into the internal clitoris, vasocongestion, skene’s glands, the mystery of sexual vaginal lubrication, and the most sensitive areas of the clitoral glans. Have you heard that men are more sexually visual, orgasms are different based on gender, or the more testosterone someone has the stronger their sex drive is? Dr. Prause tells us why these and other sexual “facts” aren’t true at all. This episode has so much fascinating information, it’s a sex geek’s wet dream! We also tell you about a free upcoming learning resource for existing and aspiring sexuality educators.
Nicole Prause, Ph.D Bio
Nicole Prause, PhD,is a clinical scientist who studies primary rewards (aka sex) using neuroscience and physiology. She trained at the Kinsey Institute and graduated with a PhD in Clinical Science from Indiana University, Bloomington. She completed her clinical internship at Boston Consortium with an addictions research fellowship at Harvard University. She is a licensed psychologist in California (#27778). Laboratory studies are important, as compared to surveys alone, because they can demonstrate causality and test the accuracy of self-report. She applies these data to promote health, such as the benefits of (partnered and solo) genital stroking, promotion of relaxation and sleep with orgasm, and meditative effects of high sexual arousal states. Her overall goal is to identify empirically-supported methods for addressing problems that is endogenous, safe, and cheap, which includes reducing the shame associated with using sexual stimulation for these non-sexual applications.
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed. You also get episodes made exclusively for Patreon members, podcast stickers, surprises in the mail, a personal video greeting & more for as little as $3 a month. Thanks!
Episode 99 Links
- Liberos Website https://liberoscenter.com/
- Nicole Prause Twitter https://twitter.com/NicoleRPrause
- Liberos Facebook https://www.facebook.com/LiberosCenter/
- Nicole Prause Episode art photo credit Tom Bassett http://tombassett.com/
- More about the internal clitoris http://centerforeroticintelligence.org/internal-clitoris/
- Sex Educator Skill Share Conference http://sextoyradio.com/sex-educator-skill-share-conference
- Fire Woman Retreat http://firewomanretreat.com/sunny
- Sunny Megatron Instagram (please help us get to 10k to unlock more business features! We’re sooooo close– less than 100 to go!) http://instagram.com/sunnymegatron
- American Sex Podcast subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/americansexpodcast
Episode 99 Sponsor, Affiliate & Giveaway Info
- 1 free month of Audible Escape http://audible.com/sunny – Access the entire library of 18,000+ love stories and romance audiobooks!
- 10% off American Sex Podcast & Sunny Megatron merch with code SUNNY (t-shirts, mugs, phone cases & more) http://bit.ly/sunnyshirts
- Sunny & Ken’s classes on Kink Academy http://bit.ly/kinkacademyelectric & http://bit.ly/kinkacademyhumiliation
- 15% off your order at Lovehoney when you use this link http://bit.ly/lovehoney15
- 15% off everything at Lelo.com with code SUNNY
- 10% off everything (with minor restrictions) online from woman-owned, feminist, trans & queer-friendly Early To Bed with code SUNNY http://bit.ly/sunnyetb
- At least 25% off BDSM gear & sex toys with Stockroom’s daily deal (there’s a new product each day!) https://www.stockroom.com/dailydeal/?acc=7c590f01490190db0ed02a5070e20f01
© 2017-2019 American Sex