Dr. Chris Donaghue drops so much valuable knowledge in this episode! We get right to the heart of issues common in masculine sexuality– low desire, masturbation habits, societal pressures to perform, the taboo of prostate play, the stigma of using sex toys, plus we examine what we can learn from other cultures that don’t view self-pleasure as shameful. Dr. Chris also gives us the definitive answer on how much self-love is too much (and what he says may surprise you!). Ken and Sunny answer a listener question about beginner prostate toys, Sunny has her first colonoscopy & they contemplate homemade edible pleasure devices.
TENGA Brand Ambassador Dr. Chris Donaghue is a Doctor of Clinical Sexology and Human Sexuality, Certified Sex Therapist, Licensed Clinical Therapist and Doctoral trained in Clinical Psychology, and continues to run his private practice out of Los Angeles. He is one out of only four hundred individuals who completed the extra training to receive his CST Credentials.
Dr. Chris specializes in individual and couples sex and marital therapy, as well as sexual compulsivity, sexual anorexia, sexual dysfunctions and non-traditional sexuality, identities and relationships. His expertise has been shared with hundreds during his lectures at University of Southern California (USC), University of California
Los Angeles (UCLA), Antioch University and University of California Riverside (UCR).
He continues to lecture at leading conferences, including Catalyst Con, ASSECT Conference and for the Hazeldan Betty Ford Foundation. Dr. Chris is nationally recognized as a sex and relationship expert, and shares his expertise as the cohost of CBS’ LoveLine Podcast. Additionally, he is the featured expert on VH1’s new “The Amber Rose Show,” and regularly appears on segments including CBS’ The Doctors, WE’s Sex Box, Logo TV’s Bad Sex. He has been featured in Newsweek, National Geographic, on CNN, OWN, and Dr. Drew’s “Lifechangers,” and many more.
Dr. Chris aims to elevate the conversation around masturbation and help foster cultural acceptance. With aid from TENGA’s 2018 Global Self-Pleasure Report, he places significant importance on the realization that being empathetic and open to the needs of yourself and those around you isn’t weak or taboo, but rather a necessity to break down social stigmas and allow everyone to be their authentic selves. Dr. Chris believes these social stereotypes tell men to disconnect from their emotions, objectify women and resolve conflicts through violence which end up hurting men and women at large, on a global level.
American Association of Sex Counselors, Educators and Therapist (AASECT)
Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS)
American Association of Couples and Sex Therapist
Sex Outside the Lines: Authentic Sexuality in a Sexually Dysfunctional Culture (2015) – Dr. Chris pulls apart cultural
phobias with a “sex positive” therapy practice, a kind of sexual deprogramming that helps people see and accept the
desires they have—even if they don’t align with societal expectations—are really natural, healthy, and part of having a
great sex life.
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed for as little as $1 per month. Contributors also get brand new, monthly content and episodes made exclusively for Patreon members. Thanks!
Episode 45 Links
- Dr. Chris Donaghue Twitter https://twitter.com/ChrisDonaghue
- Dr. Chris Donaghue Instagram https://www.instagram.com/drdonaghue/
- Dr. Chris Donaghue Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheChrisDonaghue/
- Dr. Chris Donaghue Website https://www.drchrisdonaghue.com/
- Tenga Website https://usstore.tenga-global.com/
- Tenga 2018 Global Self-Pleasure Report https://www.tenga-global.com/
- Aneros prostate products https://www.peepshowtoys.com/search?x=0&y=0&q=aneros (10% with code SUNNY)
- Sunny’s colonoscopy Twitter moment– documented from prep to post-procedure complications https://twitter.com/i/moments/1004064580895690752
- Info about applying for Medicaid in your U.S. state (if you don’t have insurance, see if you qualify. Then go get your routine cancer tests and well checks!)https://www.hhs.gov/answers/medicare-and-medicaid/who-is-eligible-for-medicaid/index.html
- Sunny Megatron Instagram (please help us get to 10k to unlock more business features!) https://www.instagram.com/sunnymegatron/
- $100 off Midori’s Forte Femme July (New York) or August (San Fransisco) – use code sunny http://www.fortefemme.com/
- COPE Conference Ohio July 2018 (we’re teaching) adventuresinsexuality.org/COPE/tickets.html
Episode 45 Sponsor & Giveaway Info
- 10% off your entire peepshowtoys.com order with code SUNNY & 18% off the “Pride nJoy” Collection with code PRIDENJOY. Peepshow Toys is small, independently owned online pleasure products retailer committed to selling only quality products made of body-safe, non-toxic materials, at fair prices. Peepshow Toys carries a number of “indie” sex toy brands like The Butters, Split Peaches and Funkit Toys – companies that are similarly committed to offering body-safe, quality sex toys.
- Ojoy Lily Rose silicone thrusting rabbit vibrator giveaway ($99 value) provided by Castle Megastore. Entrants must be over 18, US resident, no purchase necessary. Visit the giveaway page for details and to enter: https://sunnymegatron.com/ojoy
- 20% off your order at http://castlemegastore.com when you use code SUNNY at checkout (limited restrictions apply)
$100 off Midori’s July or August 2018 Forte Femme with code “sunny”
© 2017-2019 American Sex