Humans crave belonging, it’s even smack dab in the middle of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. This week, Dixie De La Tour of Bawdy Storytelling tells us about her years of building community. We learn how acknowledging your authentic self through community changes your self-perception; self-talk transforms from “it was all my fault, I’m a horrible person” to “I’m ok, I did the best I could, I’m not alone.” We touch on the power of vulnerability, cultivating empathy, and finding the courage to tell the stories people really want and need to hear. You’ll learn how to find community in unlikely places no matter where or how you live and why connecting with others in a non-sexual way is essential in sexual subcommunities. A supportive community is not only life-changing, it can also be lifesaving. Dixie also shares a powerful story about how the community she built and her use of the word “vagina” in that community not only healed trauma for an entire family but stopped a habitual abuser from continuing to commit unthinkable crimes.
Dixie De La Tour Bio
Dixie De La Tour is a sexual folklorist, storyteller, entrepreneur, podcaster, teacher, catalyst, coach, community builder, facilitator, & instigator (& that’s just for starters). She is also the founder, curator & host of the award-winning sex and storytelling show, Bawdy Storytelling.
Dixie is passionate about the art of storytelling: its ability to reduce shame, stigma and loneliness, and its power to connect strangers. A former sex party producer & dating site community manager, she founded Bawdy Storytelling – the live stage series – almost 13 years ago, and starting the Bawdy Storytelling podcasting in 2016. The Bawdy Storytelling podcast has won multiple Best Of Awards: from Forbes, GQ, Marie Claire, Uproxx and Esquire Magazine (twice!)
Dixie has been Sainted by the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence (“Saint Kiss & Make You Tell”), is hailed as the founder of “The original sex and storytelling series” (Playgirl) and “The Moth for Pervs” (LA Weekly), her stories are fan favorites on the Risk! Storytelling podcast, and she recently became a Muppet.
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed. You also get episodes made exclusively for Patreon members, podcast stickers, surprises in the mail, a personal video greeting & more for as little as $3 a month. Thanks!
Episode 102 Links
- Bawdy Website: www.BawdyStorytelling.com
- Listen to the Bawdy Storytelling podcast at http://bit.ly/bawdypodcast
- Support Bawdy on Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/Bawdy
- Twitter http://twittercom/Bawdy
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/bawdystorytelling/
- Facebook www.Facebook.com/BawdyStorytelling
- YouTube http://bit.ly/BawdyTV
- The Bawdy Storytelling Podcast is ON TOUR! Tickets now available:
- Kevin Patterson Love’s Not Colorblind Book about building inclusive sex-positive spaces https://www.amazon.com/dp/1944934464/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_t2_DiNUzbMDAA9EW
- Kevin Patterson episode http://sunnymegatron.com/kevin-patterson-loves-not-color-blind-american-sex-podcast/
- Kinky Salon https://www.kinkysalon.com/
- The Power of Vulnerability by Brene Brown free on Audible with 30-day trial http://www.audibletrial.com/aspodcast
- Diminuendo Movie https://www.amazon.com/Diminuendo-Dykstra-Robinson-Rebecca-Calvert/dp/B07XFQWHNZ/
- Sex Educator Skill Share Conference http://sextoyradio.com/sex-educator-skill-share-conference
- Fire Woman Retreat http://firewomanretreat.com/sunny
- American Sex Podcast subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/americansexpodcast
Episode 102 Sponsor, Affiliate & Giveaway Info
- Get 20% off + free shipping at Manscaped.com with code SUNNY http://manscaped.com
- 10% off American Sex Podcast & Sunny Megatron merch with code SUNNY (t-shirts, mugs, phone cases & more) http://bit.ly/sunnyshirts
- Sunny & Ken’s classes on Kink Academy http://bit.ly/kinkacademyelectric & http://bit.ly/kinkacademyhumiliation
- 15% off your order at Lovehoney when you use this link http://bit.ly/lovehoney15
- 15% off everything at Lelo.com with code SUNNY
- 10% off everything (with minor restrictions) online from woman-owned, feminist, trans & queer-friendly Early To Bed with code SUNNY http://bit.ly/sunnyetb
- At least 25% off BDSM gear & sex toys with Stockroom’s daily deal (there’s a new product each day!) https://www.stockroom.com/dailydeal/?acc=7c590f01490190db0ed02a5070e20f01